BAMS – Medal project – Recasting hands (male and female)

After my first attempt at casting my hand, I realised that I would need to recast my hand a second time and make the disc base of the medal part of the mould, rather than a separate piece I would then have to attach. To make the base, I laser cut an 8cm disc from acrylic plastic. I decided on an 8cm diameter through a mixture of prototyping and sketchbook work, with the aim of the medals being small enough that they can be held in the hand, but large enough that it frames a reasonable portion of the hand itself.

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

my laser cut 8cm diameter disc

It was then a matter of repeating the alginate process, with both mine and my friend Ambrose’s hand, who will be the male hand of the medals. With the disc as a base I also had to be more precise with the positioning of both mine and Ambrose’s hands, making sure that the fingers reach the top edge of the disc and towards a middle point between the both discs. The female (my) hand is on the right side of the disc, and the male (Ambrose’s) hand is on the left side, so that they are leaning towards one another.

my hand on top of the disc

my hand on top of the disc

Ambrose's hand on top of disc

Ambrose’s hand on top of disc

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

female hand alginate mould

female hand alginate mould

male hand alginate mould

male hand alginate mould

Then once the alginate had set, I filled them with plaster to make positives

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

After letting the plaster set overnight, leaving the alginate on a damp flannel to try and keep it at least partially damp so as not to dry out completely, it was then a matter of carefully removing the plaster from the mould.

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESWhile these are impressive, there is the matter of the excess fingers to deal with, seeing as I didn’t build a wall around the fingers in line with the edge of the disc during casting.

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESAfter plenty of chiselling and scraping to make the edge flat, the plaster positives were finished

11297648_857240260995839_1526439831_n

11267264_857240267662505_696857661_nI wanted the plaster versions to be as accurate to the final medals as possible, so it was important to make the edge clean and precise. As well as this, there were a series of small holes in the surface of the medals, especially evident in the male hand, which I filled in with plasticine. These holes were caused by air bubbles in the plaster, but after having filled them in with plasticine it shouldn’t make a difference to the silicone mould.

 

 

 

 

Advertisements


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s