SEED – Sedna project – Glaze test resultsPosted: May 27, 2015
While I was hoping to use my first house as a test, which I could then use to decide whether or not to use the same series of glaze on my other pieces, I ran into some complications along the way. I had expected my glazed building to come out of the kiln at the beginning of the week, giving me enough time to glaze the others and get them fired before my submission date. However it turns out the kiln did not get up to the temperature it needed to, and so it needed to be fired a second time. This meant that in order to have enough time to get my other pieces fired, I would not be able to wait around to see the results of my first house, and had to go ahead on blind faith and glaze them all.
Thankfully, after seeing my first building eventually come out of the kiln I was pleased to find there were no major problems with it. While the colours weren’t quite what I expected them to be, they grew on me nonetheless and I think they certainly don’t seem out of place on the house. This is reassuring to me that the others will at least turn out of the same standard.
What struck me most, and initially displeased me was the way in which the glaze has run, with it dripping from the roof and melting down the sides of the house, after I had spent so much time painting them on in a very precise manner. However, after taking some time to look at it objectively, I think this does in fact play on it’s charm, looking almost as if it has been caught in the rain.