After some tribulation with trying to find a laser printer which I could load my own paper into, I managed to get my flies printed onto my ceramic decal paper.
I figured seeing as I only had one sheet, and I couldn’t print onto it more than once I may as well completely fill it, and this also leaves me with the option of making plenty of dead fly tableware in future.
After laminating it, I carefully cut out some of the dead flies. This was difficult as the drawings are hard to see between the two layers of paper, but holding it up to the light I was able to see enough to cut an accurate silhouette
First, the instructions said to turn the image so that it is “right reading”. I can only assume that this means opposite to the way it was printed? And then wet that side with a damp sponge. After 30 seconds, slide off the white paper on the top layer.
Then submerge the decal in water until soaked, and remove, then placing face down (revealed side down) onto your surface.
After this, leave it to cool in lukewarm water for 3-5 minutes. The instructions then say to remove the “clear plastic film” from the surface of decals, but gently trying to peel away at it I found I was only pulling the decal itself off. This is likely something that I’ve done wrong, but nonetheless the end product looks great
Before printing out onto my special ceramic decal paper, I wanted to first test out how various sized version of the flies looked, both in terms of quality and in the context of the bowl itself.
I think that the medium-small sized flies are the most effective, with the largest flies being to big and the smallest being too small. The flies which are closest to the real size of flies, if not slightly larger are the most off putting, with the potential to mistake them for real flies. While I very much like having a small amount of flies in the bottom of a bowl, when cutting them out I found there is also something very pleasing about having many flies of all different sizes laid out in a pattern.